Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Yes, we like to eat

First of all, please know you don't have to be greek to enjoy this blog. The brainchild of my niece Andrea and a little suggestion from me, and voila! A new blog is born.

What will you find here? Reviews of restaurants and places from our various travels, sometimes a recipe or two, always an opinion and one you will hopefully find helpful. Our qualifications are an appreciation of fine food from our many years of travel and exposure to international cuisine. But we are anything but stuffy, we love greasy junky finger licking food just as much as the expensive stuff, anything pleasing to the palate, we will cover a wide range of places from all price points and for all lifestyles.

I'd like to start leaving a calling card at certain places we visit, telling the proprietor to visit us at www.greekgirlseat.blogspot.com when I know I will review them. You will find the good, bad, and ugly here, we promise not to hold back, and always feel free to ask any questions if we can elaborate.

A short introductory review today....I had the good fortune of getting a week off from work. Today, I journeyed to Ogunquit, Maine. I have travelled here for years, and it never fails to impress me. I try to avoid the tourist traps, like Barnacle Billy's in Perkins Cove. Though they offer a decent boiled lobster and steamers, there are more reasonably priced places offering similar dinners and ambience, like right across the way at Jackie's Too. A patio seat offers you a view of the marginal way and an ocean full of possibilities. Today, I had a simple lunch, seeing as I was still digesting my two peanut butter cups from the famous Harbor Sweets. I ordered a shrimp cocktail...4 pieces at $12.95, and when i asked which was better, the clam chowder or lobster bisque, I was given the tip that the $4.95 chowder would actually be the better choice than the $5.95 bisque. Intrigued that the waitress didnt actually push me toward the more expensive soup, I felt confident in choosing the chowder. The shrimp certainly were jumbo. I felt though they were like the kind you buy at the market precooked -- crunchy but kind of watery - I like mine presented drier. However, they were tasty in their cocktail sauce, which had just enough kick, perhaps it was housemade? I enjoyed them despite my first impression. The chowder was fantastic, very creamy, you must like creamy to enjoy this chowder. Served steaming hot. a nice subtle clam taste with potatoes and seasoning. A very nice value especially given the beautiful backdrop provided for my solitary lunch. I know i've had their salmon wrap and dinner in the past, also enjoyed. Definitely worth a visit next time you are in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment