Monday, March 28, 2011

Mystic, CT, Julia Roberts, and what is in that secret sauce anyways?


Okay, so Julie Roberts wasnt behind the counter serving up a "slice of heaven", but you cannot not stop here if you find yourself in Mystic, CT.  It was a beautiful early spring day this past weekend, warm enough to walk around, but cold enough in the shade to keep your winter coat and gloves on.  Mystic really is a pretty quaint town, a ton of independently owned shops, boutiques, just beautiful unique things, I did a little shopping along with my walking.  I've never been to Mystic Pizza, nor walked around the area, though I think I've driven through here a time or two.  Other than the sign and tshirts for sale, the restaurant doesnt look at all like the movie set.  It was indeed filmed in the area though, and there was plenty of memorabilia in the restaurant to show how the actors and production crew bonded with the locals, I was sitting right infront of a picture of Billy Moses ("the architect" character) amongst a group of current waitresses.  The actors still have a soft spot for the area when they find themselves in the Northeast.

But what about the pizza, the real heroine of the film?  The menu had a neat story of how the restaurant came to be and was known for their "special ingredient"...the sauce.  Over the years, I imagine the place changed and simplified, we actually guessed its greek owned now, they offered a "moussaka pizza" which was a big clue!  But we went for the simple mediterranean veggie pizza.  We had to go for a small due to my diet, my picture didnt come out very well, but it was served in a round black pan, good size for two.  I thought the vegetables were very yummy, especially the artichoke hearts, it also had onions, peppers, olives...no feta, just regular pizza style cheese.  I wasnt crazy about the crust but at the same time, it was a decent pizza.  I didnt think the sauce was so special though.  I looked around at what other people were eating, food looked decent, like regular pizza parlor type fare.  And the ambience is fun with all the film props, photos, and they were even playing the movie Mystic Pizza on a flat screen.  Definitely worth a try when you are in Mystic and in a mood to make your mark in film history! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment